Total Nubbee

DGrafflin

Total Nubbee

Postby DGrafflin » Wed Jan 31, 2024 2:28 am

Hi people. I am totally new to this plaform. I purchased a ESP32-wroom with a few projects in mind.
A programmer I really am not, but would like to know what has the easiest learning curve.
I am considering Arduino for its open source and number of experimenters that may help with a couple simple projects.
My goal is using the ESP32 as an in-circuit eeprom reader/writer. device is 28C64B on a controller board.
Any recomendations on software platform I should persue would be a great help and I would think applications along this line
are already out there.
Thanks, have a great day.
Dan

MicroController

Re: Total Nubbee

Postby MicroController » Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:24 pm

Arduino is a common/sensible choice to get your feet wet with C/C++ MCU programming.
Another option could be MicroPython, with Python being a bit easier to get into than C/C++; and you get a "REPL", i.e. an interactive prompt where you can type and immediately run Python commands to try things out.
Dunno about the Python, but for native programming (C/C++) having a debugger of some kind immensely simplifies things, so you may want to either buy one or use an ESP with built-in USB-JTAG hardware (ESP32-C & S series).

DGrafflin

Re: Total Nubbee

Postby DGrafflin » Thu Feb 01, 2024 2:15 am

I like the sound of micro-python, I wasn't certain it would complete the toolchain to program this device.
I will go ahead and get the C&S version, I do know JTAG and equipped.
I will hve a boatload of questions when I get into programming even though for now, my needs are simple.
I value you input and appreciate your time
TNX Dan