Is ESP-EYE autonomous ?

esp@esp@esp

Is ESP-EYE autonomous ?

Postby esp@esp@esp » Wed Apr 12, 2023 11:27 am

Hello. I saw some videos about esp-eye which is programmed via esp-idf and I realized that to record a face, create a faceID, it is necessary to be connected to a PC to generate the video stream on the screen.

But after recording the faceID, to carry out recognition, is it also necessary to be connected to a PC or does it work autonomously?

And how many faces can you record ?

Anybody know ?

Thanks

esp@esp@esp

Re: Is ESP-EYE autonomous ?

Postby esp@esp@esp » Thu Apr 13, 2023 8:34 pm

I'm new here in this forum. Can anyone help with these two questions ?

Thanks

Yuvaraj1867

Postby Yuvaraj1867 » Fri Apr 14, 2023 9:58 am

Hi,

ESP-EYE does not has LCD. So PC is the only option to record or match the face.

ESP-S3-EYE has LCD, So after programming PC is not necessary for record a face, recognize a face and streaming the video
https://github.com/espressif/esp-who/tr ... p32-s3-eye
https://github.com/espressif/esp-who/bl ... d_Guide.md

Since one face id is a 512 vector, with float point, so one face id will take 2KB of memory. For example If you want to store 4000 faces, you then need at least 8MB to store all these ids.

esp@esp@esp

Postby esp@esp@esp » Mon Apr 17, 2023 1:53 pm

Thanks++ my friend

esp@esp@esp

Postby esp@esp@esp » Mon Apr 17, 2023 2:27 pm

Friend, and what code could I use to transfer the faces recorded in 1 ESP-EYE to other ESP-EYE in order to avoid having to do a new recognition again ?

Thanks

Yuvaraj1867

Postby Yuvaraj1867 » Tue Apr 18, 2023 6:11 am

Hi,

We dont have ready made code for this right now. Something we have to develop ourself by using available examples in ESP-IDF.
https://github.com/espressif/esp-idf/tr ... r/examples

a2800276

Postby a2800276 » Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:25 am

I assume what you are trying to do is some sort of recognition system, perhaps to check if someone is allowed to enter a restricted area, or to greet yourself when you look into the camera.

With "record a face" you mean register a new user for the system. "faceid" is whatever algorithm you are using to calculate the similarity between a two images of faces ...

You don't need a display for any of this. You only need a display to ... well .. display pictures of faces. The camera is sufficient to take the picture. Once you have the picture, that image is passed to the "faceid" algorithm to create some sort of internal representation.

You can record as many faces as you like. The question is: how many can you store? To determine this, calculate the amount of free space on your device and divide that by the size of of the data your "faceid" algorithm generates for each face.

None of this needs to involve a display, let alone a PC.

esp@esp@esp

Postby esp@esp@esp » Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:50 am

Grateful for your answer and that of colleague Yuvaraj1867

Really my intention is to record faces for door access control

I don't know ESP-IDF, just arduino IDE. And I would like to not need to repeat the faceID's recording process on all ports. I would like to register the faceID's only 1 time in 1 ESP-EYE and then transfer this registration to the other ESP-EYE's of the other access doors to the other environments.

Do you have any code examples that I can expand on using the arduino IDE? that allows you to transfer faceIDs from one ESP-EYE to another ESP-EYE?

Thanks

esp@esp@esp

Postby esp@esp@esp » Tue Apr 18, 2023 12:20 pm

I edited this post to try to be more specific. Let's assume a small school with 50 students. I intend to store the faceID of each student in ESP-EYE.

Every time a student looks at the camera, ESP-EYE recognizes them and can show their name on an OLED display. Or at least show FACE1, FACE2, etc.

What code does this using the arduino IDE?

Do you have any examples I can expand on ?

And how to transfer the storage of 50 faces to a second ESP-EYE? If I connect an SD CARD module to the two ESP-EYE, can I record on the ESP1 SD CARD and then copy and paste it on the ESP2 CARD ?

Thanks