UART / Serial Garbled

GavinBrown

UART / Serial Garbled

Postby GavinBrown » Mon Oct 21, 2024 6:45 am

Hi all,

I'm working on a ESP32-S3-WROOM-1 custom board. I am using the Arduino IDE and the ESP32S3 Dev board type.

The board flashes correctly from the Arduino IDE.

My custom board has an L80-R GPS chip connected to the ESP32S3. The connections are: L80 TX -> ESP32 Pin 11 (as RX), and L80 RX -> ESP32 Pin 10 (as TX). Power and GND are all correct.

As per the doco from the GPS manufacturer - the initial baud rate from the GPS is 9600, SERIAL_8N1.

I am using a very basic Arduino C++ program to read the chars coming from the L80 GPS however they are garbled. i.e. � or int 255.

I have tried all baud rates from 4800 through to 115200 and none make a difference.

I have been trawling many sites looking for clues and have seen some commentary regarding clock speeds - which I have tried to reduce from 240 MHZ through to 10 MHZ - to no avail.

I am comfortable that there are no cross talk issues on the RX/TX lines from the GPS to the ESP32S3.

This one has me slightly stumped. As I said, I am getting something from the GPS and it does look like a baud rate issue, but again, changing rates hasnt helped.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

The program is:

Code: Select all

#include <HardwareSerial.h>

HardwareSerial MySerial(1);  // Using UART 1 with custom pins 
const int MySerialRX = 11;
const int MySerialTX = 10;
#define BAUD 9600

void setup() 
{
    Serial.begin(115200);
    MySerial.begin(BAUD, SERIAL_8N1, MySerialRX, MySerialTX, false);