ESP32S3 : Is it possible to change the Flash Encryption configuration ?

ThomasESP32

ESP32S3 : Is it possible to change the Flash Encryption configuration ?

Postby ThomasESP32 » Wed Aug 14, 2024 12:56 pm

Good afternoon,

I am using an Esp32-S3-DevKit-C-1 kit in order to test the flash encryption methods.
So, I have configured a project using flash encryption set in Development mode with a random key generated by the chip itself.

The project has been compiled and downloaded in the DevKit-C-1. Everything works well.

I wanted to know if there is a possibility to change the flash encryption mode of my project (Dev Mode with a user generated key or Release mode) and flash the project into the same chip in order to test it ? This question because the random key has been burned into
this chip so I don't know if I have the possibility to burn a new user generated key inside the chip to use it...
Moreover, because the flash encryption is set to development mode in the project flashed in the chip, I don't know if I have the possibility to set it to release mode into the same chip...

Do you have any idea please ?
Or can you confirm me if my chip is now stuck into dev mode with a random key inside ??

Best regards,

Thanks for your help

Thomas TRUILHE

aliarifat794

Re: ESP32S3 : Is it possible to change the Flash Encryption configuration ?

Postby aliarifat794 » Wed Aug 14, 2024 4:24 pm

If you want to confirm the current state of your chip, you can check the Efuse settings to see which bits have been burned. For this, you can use the espefuse.py tool that comes with the ESP-IDF.