ESP32-S3-DevKitC-1 UART vs USB with Tiny USB MIDI

mediaRif

ESP32-S3-DevKitC-1 UART vs USB with Tiny USB MIDI

Postby mediaRif » Thu Dec 21, 2023 6:58 pm

I'm programming a ESP32-S3-DevKitC-1 to be used as a midi device. I've been connecting it to my computer and flashing it through the USB port (as opposed to the UART port). When I go to flash it (to be used as a USB MIDI device), after I execute the flash update, .. my computer now immediately recognizes the USB port as a USB MIDI device (instead of the COM port (as if to flash the application)). Can this be assignable? (assign the UART port to be recognized as the MIDI devices as opposed to the USB port)
Last edited by mediaRif on Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mediaRif

Re: ESP32-S3-DevKitC-1 UART vs USB with Tiny USB MIDI

Postby mediaRif » Thu Dec 21, 2023 10:52 pm

By way of further clarification on my question. I'm a little confused with the differences of the two ports. Here is what is written in the documentation for the description of the two ports:

- - - documentation - - - -

USB-to-UART Port
A Micro-USB port used for power supply to the board, for flashing applications to the chip, as well as for communication with the chip via the on-board USB-to-UART bridge.

USB Port
ESP32-S3 full-speed USB OTG interface, compliant with the USB 1.1 specification. The interface is used for power supply to the board, for flashing applications to the chip, for communication with the chip using USB 1.1 protocols, as well as for JTAG debugging.

- - - documentation - - - -

I'm somewhat confused (because both ports can be used to flash applications to the chip). When I flash my application to the chip through the USB Port, ... immediately after the flash completes, the computer recognizes the port now as a MIDI device (per using the Tiny USB library for MIDI implementation) ... and I now have to use the UART port (instead) to re-flash the application. If I flash the application (instead) through the USB-to-UART port, it still assigns the MIDI device (implantation of the Tiny USB) to the USB Port.

I'm wondering, is this assignable? Can I instead assign the USB-to-UART port to be recognized as the Tiny USB MIDI device? (instead of the USB Port?) ... If so? how?

ESP_Sprite

Re: ESP32-S3-DevKitC-1 UART vs USB with Tiny USB MIDI

Postby ESP_Sprite » Fri Dec 22, 2023 8:10 am

No. The USB-to-UART port is physically connected to something like a CP2102 chip, which is dedicated to acting as an USB-to-serial device and can't be used as something else. You can still flash the ESP32 using the USB port; you need to put it in bootloader mode first (usually done by holding the BOOT button and pressing the EN or RESET button)