Sending data from board to laptop over WiFi

Dumbledore

Sending data from board to laptop over WiFi

Postby Dumbledore » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:00 pm

Morning!

I'm new to networking stuff and this time it seems like I'm not good at googling it, so maybe you can help:

I have two ESP32 boards - one is a WiFi AP, the other one is connected to it. Both are connected via UDP, one generates data, sends it to the other one and there it gets saved in a file on a SD card. This part works well.

What I want to do now is connecting my Windows laptop to the WiFi too, and then the board with the SD card is supposed to send me the file.

1) I could implement a TCP client on the board with the SD card, that connects to a TCP server on my laptop when it connects via WiFi, I guess. I could use the examples for the ESP32 board, but do you know an easy way to implement a TCP server on my laptop?

2) Could it produce unwanted behavior when the two boards keep producing data that gets stored within the file, while the file gets sent to my laptop? Should I pause the data producing during this time?

Thanks in advance!

Ritesh

Re: Sending data from board to laptop over WiFi

Postby Ritesh » Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:59 pm

Dumbledore wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:00 pm
Morning!

I'm new to networking stuff and this time it seems like I'm not good at googling it, so maybe you can help:

I have two ESP32 boards - one is a WiFi AP, the other one is connected to it. Both are connected via UDP, one generates data, sends it to the other one and there it gets saved in a file on a SD card. This part works well.

What I want to do now is connecting my Windows laptop to the WiFi too, and then the board with the SD card is supposed to send me the file.

1) I could implement a TCP client on the board with the SD card, that connects to a TCP server on my laptop when it connects via WiFi, I guess. I could use the examples for the ESP32 board, but do you know an easy way to implement a TCP server on my laptop?

2) Could it produce unwanted behavior when the two boards keep producing data that gets stored within the file, while the file gets sent to my laptop? Should I pause the data producing during this time?

Thanks in advance!
Good Idea.

Yes. You can use TCP client and Server example to achieve that goal which you want.
Regards,
Ritesh Prajapati