Possible to use LEDC Fade along with GPIO_SET_LEVEL() on the same PIN

Ravenholem

Possible to use LEDC Fade along with GPIO_SET_LEVEL() on the same PIN

Postby Ravenholem » Wed Oct 09, 2024 6:36 pm

I'm working on some code and can't seem to figure out how to get these two functions to work together.
I have a LED on GPIO_25
I have the ledc fade code working and can get the fades to happen as I want.
I have a component that was wrote that takes a GPIO pin number and blinks a LED using gpio_set_level().

When I try to use them together the Fade will work if I initialize its code last and the GPIO_set_level() does nothing.
Then vise versa if I set the GPIO direction last then the GPIO_set_level() will work but the fade does not.

I thought I wasn't able to get them to both work because I needed to use ledc_stop() so I added it when I'm not needing to fade and still gpio_set_level() does nothing.

Then it got me to thinking how based on the order I initialize them dictates which one works, So this must be a more complex issue.

So is it the fact that they are setup a certain way and one over writes the other on initialization is my issue? Would I need to uninstall the LEDC and reinstall when I need it?

MicroController

Re: Possible to use LEDC Fade along with GPIO_SET_LEVEL() on the same PIN

Postby MicroController » Wed Oct 09, 2024 8:17 pm

Ravenholem wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2024 6:36 pm
So is it the fact that they are setup a certain way and one over writes the other on initialization is my issue?
Yes. A pin can only be connected to one output signal at a time; this can be a GPIO signal or a signal from a peripheral like the LEDC. Both the GPIO and the LEDC driver connect "their" respective output signal to the pin, overwriting/replacing any previous output signal routing for that pin.
Would I need to uninstall the LEDC and reinstall when I need it?
Not really. You can set up the LEDC once, then switch between the pin's functions by using gpio_config() to make the pin work as GPIO and ledc_set_pin() to make it work as LEDC output.
Or you could modify the other code to use the LEDC too (100%/0% duty cycle).