Help needed for color display implementation

FrankJensen

Help needed for color display implementation

Postby FrankJensen » Thu Jun 13, 2024 6:43 pm

Hi there.

Recently I moved from arduino to Espressif framework within Platformio. Bigger difference, than I thought, and I am still learning. Now I am going to use my first color display (ST7789 driver), and wonder what way to go. LVGL seems to be the way. I just need a driver for the Espressif platform within Platformio. I have used U8G2 before with monochrome displays.

Here is seems like all drivers are out of date. lvgl_esp32_drivers are 3 years old, and aparently not suitable for newest framework and LVGL9. There seems to be some for Arduino, but I want to stick to the espressif. I have not been able to get anything to work.

I have read about the esp-bsp. Is that a way to go? I do not use a readymade board, hardware is my own. Can it be used with Platformio?

I also consider explorering the ESP-IDF by Espressif. Seems like there is a component manager, that can do some tricks, and it seems like support for ST7789 is present. Do I limit my selves using Platformio? Is there better support for color displays using the ESP-IDF?

What I could need, is a finger pointing in a direction to go. I am all over, and right now quite clueless, and find it hard to find out, what is deprecated and what is a maintained, and a wise way to go. Let me know, what libraries you use, with your color display, compatible with latest lvgl and latest framework.

Br. Frank.

FrankJensen

Re: Help needed for color display implementation

Postby FrankJensen » Thu Jun 13, 2024 8:23 pm

Or is the driver actually included in the lvgl 9.1? I just can not get it to compile....

limpens

Postby limpens » Sun Jun 16, 2024 11:23 am

FrankJensen wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2024 8:23 pm
Or is the driver actually included in the lvgl 9.1? I just can not get it to compile....

When using one of those 'new' cheap-yellow-displays, I just use the native st7789 driver and lvgl 9.x

Add lvgl and the esp_lvgl_port to your idf_component.yml and you can add the display after initializing spi by calling

Code: Select all

esp_err_t r = esp_lcd_new_panel_st7789(*lcd_io, &panel_config, lcd_panel);
Edit: updated this example.

melonedo

Postby melonedo » Mon Jun 17, 2024 2:59 pm

https://github.com/lvgl/lvgl_esp32_driv ... .0_idf_5.0 is a good reference to start with, although it is a little bit oudated and does not work on newer devices like ESP32C3, the functions and struct definitions are pretty much standard and can be copy-pasted to official examples, e.g. https://github.com/espressif/esp-idf/tr ... master/lcd.