correct way to enable esp32-s3-wroom-2 psram ecc to get 85C operating temperature

cmorgan

correct way to enable esp32-s3-wroom-2 psram ecc to get 85C operating temperature

Postby cmorgan » Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:39 pm

Hello.

Looking through menuconfig there is the ability to enable psram ecc if one enables CONFIG_SPIRAM (Support for external, SPI-connected RAM) (https://docs.espressif.com/projects/esp ... l-ram.html)

It was my understanding that the esp32-s3-wroom-2 has external spi psram (https://www.espressif.com/sites/default ... eet_en.pdf) and if ecc is enabled on that psram the wroom-2 operating temperature is raised from 65C to 85C, a very nice bump for only 1/16th the available psram.

Is it the case that because there is no idf.py target for 'esp32-s3-wroom-2', only esp32-s3, that to enable the psram on the wroom-2 one has to manually enable CONFIG_SPIRAM? And then I can configure for ECC?

What happens if CONFIG_SPIRAM isn't enabled for a wroom-2 module, is the external psram simply not used? (I guess I never checked the boot log in enough detail to notice it wasn't available although I know the external spi flash is used).

I'm so used to everything happening automatically that it surprised me to think that perhaps the psram isn't being utilized without being explicitly enabled. :-)

ESP_Sprite

Re: correct way to enable esp32-s3-wroom-2 psram ecc to get 85C operating temperature

Postby ESP_Sprite » Thu Feb 01, 2024 2:45 am

We don't use modules as targets for ESP-IDF, only chips; you need to manually enable any features that modules have or do not have, and that includes PSRAM. By default, it's not enabled, meaning you only have the internal memory of the ESP32-S3 to play with.

MicroController

Re: correct way to enable esp32-s3-wroom-2 psram ecc to get 85C operating temperature

Postby MicroController » Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:50 am

it surprised me to think that perhaps the psram isn't being utilized without being explicitly enabled.
Even when enabled, PSRAM will only be used 'automatically' if malloc() is PSRAM-enabled.