Use USB Serial/JTAG simultaneously? (ESP32-S3)

LittleRain

Use USB Serial/JTAG simultaneously? (ESP32-S3)

Postby LittleRain » Sun Aug 06, 2023 1:38 am

I just populated a custom PCB and have successfully flashed and debugged a test program using JTAG, but I cannot get the serial port working at the same time as JTAG.

To get the serial port to show up in my COM ports after flashing/debugging with JTAG, I have to uninstall the driver in Device Manager and reset my device.
Then every time I wish to use JTAG again, I need to reinstall the WINUSB driver(Luckily my IDE does this automatically).

I know that you cannot use TinyUSB classes with JTAG at same time, but is it possible to use the Serial and JTAG hardware simultaneously?

LittleRain

Re: Use USB Serial/JTAG simultaneously? (ESP32-S3)

Postby LittleRain » Mon Aug 07, 2023 12:30 am

I found and fixed the problem, which I think was caused by my IDE incorrectly installing the drivers.

After I get the serial port working(with JTAG not working), there are 2 devices in the device manager, "USB JTAG/serial debug unit," and "USB Serial Device."

But for some reason in the JTAG/Serial driver, oem29.inf was never getting configured.

So all I had to do was force update the "USB JTAG/serial debug unit" driver to the one in \Espressif\tools\idf-driver\idf-driver-esp32-usb-jtag. Now oem29.inf is getting configured, and both JTAG and Serial work simultaneously.