Can not install esp-idf 4.4.1 toolchain under Windows 11

rico.b

Can not install esp-idf 4.4.1 toolchain under Windows 11

Postby rico.b » Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:46 pm

Hi there

My Problem I had ( I fixed it while writing the question, but i will still post it, it may help someone else )

I tried to install the esp-idf 4.4.1 toolchain under windows 11 ( I was working successful with this toolchain under Windows 10 ).
Sadly I am not able to install the toolchain.

I tried first with the windows installer (esp-idf-tools-setup-online-2.22.exe) and after that i tried with a manual installation (install prerequisites manually and then run install.bat)

In both cases it fails on the same step.
While installing python packages it fails on the installation of gevent 1.5.0 package. It run into some error while working some cython files.

sadly i no longer have the log file :( i will add it, when i am able to reproduce the problem again ;)

My solution

after installing the prerequisites manually i do the following:
  1. run install.bat: failed as before
  2. run export.bat: failed because cannot find module click
  3. run install.bat: works now
  4. run export.bat: works now
I have currently only tested to build blink example, i will have to test the flash and monitor later on.

My Conclution

I think it was a problem with python versions. But i am not totally sure about that, because it also fails with the online installer of espressif. Maybe the installer also downloaded a newer python version than the tools are able to work with, while installing prerequisites manually i tried python 3.11. (the current stable version)

Cheers
Rico

ESP_Roland

Re: Can not install esp-idf 4.4.1 toolchain under Windows 11

Postby ESP_Roland » Wed Jul 26, 2023 7:06 am

ESP-IDF v4.4.1 doesn't have all the necessary bufixes (in this case for Python 3.11 which was released much later than ESP-IDF v4.4.1). Please use always the latest bugfix version of the given release. It is v4.4.5 at this moment.

rico.b

Postby rico.b » Wed Jul 26, 2023 8:55 am

Sadly i cannot just change the version, because this is defined by the company i am working for.

ESP_Roland

Postby ESP_Roland » Wed Jul 26, 2023 4:54 pm

As a workaround, you can find an older installer which will deploy a Python 3.8-based environment.

But I would like to stress again to you and everyone who reads this. If you don't use the latest bugfix version of the release then you might end up asking one-by-one for fixes which already have been fixed. Just look at the release notes of v4.4.2, v4.4.3, v4.4.4 and v4.4.5 to get an idea about the number of fixes you are missing. Maybe you could refer your employer to ESP-IDF's release policy. There should be no breaking changes between bugfix releases.