is there a simple diagnostic test for ESP32 DevKit?

georgewicks

is there a simple diagnostic test for ESP32 DevKit?

Postby georgewicks » Tue Aug 13, 2024 6:33 pm

Hi,
I've been doing ESP32 development for sometime now, and when I do development, sometimes I have to dig around to figure out why I am having problems when I can't load/run an example. After some tedium, I find the answer, and sometimes a devkit is just plain busted. I can live with that, BUT if I have to work with others, and they encounter a problem with loading or running the firmware, and they get:

--- Quit: Ctrl+C | Menu: Ctrl+T | Help: Ctrl+T followed by Ctrl+H
ets Jul 29 2019 12:21:46

rst:0x1 (POWERON_RESET),boot:0x3 (DOWNLOAD_BOOT(UART0/UART1/SDIO_REI_REO_V2))
waiting for download

IF you look for any information on this message, you can get several thousand hits from the search - this seems to be a generalized error condition, but then there are a huge amount of "answers" available - some that help, and some that can lead one completely astray.

What would be great is if there is a simple & straightforward utility to test if the board is even functional? I've been frustrated to only find out after a lot of pain and aggravation that the board is simply bad in some way.

Anything like this?? It would be great to know when a board really is bad using a simple test.

Thanks in advance!

aliarifat794

Re: is there a simple diagnostic test for ESP32 DevKit?

Postby aliarifat794 » Thu Aug 15, 2024 4:19 pm

Flash a basic "blink" sketch to the ESP32. This is often a quick way to check if the board is functional. Also, upload the basic Serial communication code. If you have some sensors, you can test with small codes of I2C and SPI communication. If you need guidelines on board installation, basic coding etc of ESP32 DevKit, you can get help from here: https://www.theengineeringprojects.com/ ... eries.html