ESP32 Custom board - WROOM-32UE-N8 - Not uploading

remco.halman

ESP32 Custom board - WROOM-32UE-N8 - Not uploading

Postby remco.halman » Mon Oct 09, 2023 7:33 pm

Hi There all!

So this is my first steps in to IoT and with a custom ESP32 board (board creation at all). So far I have only played around with pre-build Dev boards.

Would you guys point me in the correct direction? Ok so whats happening is basically nothing. Attached is a pdf of my schematic. While it was to late for the change I removed the LED from IO2 (did not see it was a strapping pin) to make it floating again.

What I used as a reference https://dl.espressif.com/dl/schematics/ ... v4-sch.pdf.

It sees the CP2102N as a Serial device if I try to upload i get the following error.

Code: Select all

Serial port /dev/cu.usbserial-1420
Connecting......................................

A fatal error occurred: Failed to connect to ESP32: No serial data received.
For troubleshooting steps visit: https://docs.espressif.com/projects/esptool/en/latest/troubleshooting.html
Failed uploading: uploading error: exit status 2
Did I make an incorrect call with the USB-C connector? So you can see this is not my expertise yet so go soft on me please :)
Attachments
NMEA_ESP_32_USBC.pdf
(338.18 KiB) Downloaded 111 times

ESP_Sprite

Re: ESP32 Custom board - WROOM-32UE-N8 - Not uploading

Postby ESP_Sprite » Tue Oct 10, 2023 4:18 am

First of all, get rid of C10. It's marked as NC in the schematic, meaning the component has a footprint but is never actually placed. Placing it there will stop the ESP from running on power-up.

Secondly, and likely the cause for your issue: you connected TxD of your USB-to-serial to TxD of your ESP and RxD to RxD. Those should be crossed, so TxD to RxD and vice versa.

USB looks decent, but I'm curious: what's the circuit around Q2 and Q3 supposed to do?

remco.halman

Re: ESP32 Custom board - WROOM-32UE-N8 - Not uploading

Postby remco.halman » Tue Oct 10, 2023 7:27 am

Hi @ESP_Sprite

Thank you for the quick response. I see it to now a small/big mistake on my end...

About the Q2 and Q3, After looking around I have seen some people mention a loop on the CP2102N this would reset the chip and making in reaccessable without having to power off the module etc. this is a first revision and If it's not needed beter to remove them ofcourse.

Will try this out and see if i get it up and running thanx so far!
ESP_Sprite wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2023 4:18 am
First of all, get rid of C10. It's marked as NC in the schematic, meaning the component has a footprint but is never actually placed. Placing it there will stop the ESP from running on power-up.

Secondly, and likely the cause for your issue: you connected TxD of your USB-to-serial to TxD of your ESP and RxD to RxD. Those should be crossed, so TxD to RxD and vice versa.

USB looks decent, but I'm curious: what's the circuit around Q2 and Q3 supposed to do?