ESP32S3 cannot enter DFU mode due to factory fuse setting

rtborg

ESP32S3 cannot enter DFU mode due to factory fuse setting

Postby rtborg » Tue Dec 13, 2022 3:19 pm

I have a custom board with ESP32S3 chip. I've burned fuse USB_PHY_SEL to True, and when I attempt to reboot with BOOT0 asserted (at logic 0), the device is not detected by the host at all. After googling around a bit, I found document AR2022-004, which describes that for certain chips, manufactured before date code 2219, fuse DIS_USB_OTG_DOWNLOAD_MODE is burned by default, thus disabling USB OTG Download.
The chips I have are marked as follows:
ESP32-S3
UB00PMT768

My fuse summary is attached.

The date code is 102022, meaning week 10 of 2022. I'm not sure how to interpret date code 2219 from the above document; it does not conform to the format described in Chip Marking Information chapter of Espressif Chip Packaging Information (WWYYYY).

Given that the chips with date code 102022 (April 2022) are affected, said date code is earlier that date code 2219 (I think). Maybe the Security Advisory document actually meant date code 192022 (May 2022). That is supported by the fact that the same document advices that modules with PW No. PW-2022-06-XXXX are also affected (06 representing month of June I suppose).

EDIT: Can someone from espidf suggest how to ensure we're getting chips manufactured after June 2022? For example, Mouser do not mention such info on their product page for the ESP32-S3 dev kits.
Attachments
fuse_summary.txt
(14.69 KiB) Downloaded 160 times

ESP_igrr

Re: ESP32S3 cannot enter DFU mode due to factory fuse setting

Postby ESP_igrr » Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:29 am

Hi rtborg,

I have checked with our business team, and they explained that there are two date code formats. YYWW is used on labels of chip packaging, WWYYYY is used on the chip silkscreen. (Not sure why this is the case now. I have started a discussion whether these can be unified; will see if we can make it simpler.)

So date code mentioned in the advisory (2219) is equivalent to the date code 192022 on the chip silkscren.
rtborg wrote: EDIT: Can someone from espidf suggest how to ensure we're getting chips manufactured after June 2022? For example, Mouser do not mention such info on their product page for the ESP32-S3 dev kits.
I think if you ask your supplier for chips with specific date code before placing the order, they will satisfy your request. This applies both in case when ordering through Mouser or another distributor, and when ordering from Espressif directly. If you need Espressif's help in finding a distributor or ordering a particular version/revision of the chip, you can use the form at https://www.espressif.com/en/contact-us/sales-questions.

rtborg

Re: ESP32S3 cannot enter DFU mode due to factory fuse setting

Postby rtborg » Wed Dec 14, 2022 2:53 pm

Thank you for the clarification.