JTAG and light sleep mode, ESP32-C3

Altivecer

JTAG and light sleep mode, ESP32-C3

Postby Altivecer » Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:53 pm

Hi,

I'm trying to do debugging of my code that uses light sleep.

When I use the built-in USB/JTAG interface, opened disconnects and dies when the DEV board goes into light sleep.
It seems that the USB port goes away because it is powered down.
Questions.

1) Is there a what to force the chip to keep the UAB/JTAG powered up during debug?

2) If I have an external USB to JTAG pod and connect to the four JTAG pins of the dev board, will that work through light-sleep, or will it fail as well when the JTAG is powered down?

Thanks.

ESP_Sprite

Re: JTAG and light sleep mode, ESP32-C3

Postby ESP_Sprite » Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:22 am

The light sleep thing is a known bug, we're working on it; the entire USB device is not supposed to go away. An external JTAG pod will (obviously) stay connected on the USB side. I think the CPU is not debuggable in light sleep mode, but OpenOCD should automatically be able to wait until the light sleep cycle is over.

Altivecer

Postby Altivecer » Wed Jun 15, 2022 8:23 pm

Hi ESP_Sprite.

That's what I figured. I was hoping for a little more definitive answer on if running with an external JTAG pod will work with sleep.

Do you have a recommendation on which job to get. I see a lot of people talking about the ESP-PROG, but that is only available from China with a four week lead time (not guaranteed)

If it will work, then I orderer one. I'd just hate to order it and find out it won't work either.

ESP_igrr

Postby ESP_igrr » Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:26 am

I'd like to note that we don't have support for light sleep in OpenOCD even with external JTAG adapters: https://github.com/espressif/openocd-esp32/issues/61