ESP32-S2 custom board programming

prasannaad

ESP32-S2 custom board programming

Postby prasannaad » Sat Apr 09, 2022 12:14 pm

Hello all,

I am working on developing a new board for our research project (pollution monitoring at the community level) in which I used an ESP32-S2 (4MB Flash & 2MB RAM) IC. The reference design was based on [url]Unexpected maker's tiny s2[https://unexpectedmaker.com/tinys2].

I am able to program the board only when I press and keep the boot button (GPIO-0). I am trying to use the native USB. The instructions say that I have to press and keep boot & then press reset and release for the ESP to go into DFU mode. When I tried it, there was no reaction. But when I kept the boot button pressed on, I am able to flash a program. But when I reset it, the program is not running.

I have shared my schematic below for reference.

Thank you!

edited:

Just an update, this is how my device manager looks when I connect the board and press the boot button without releasing it. If I release the boot button, the board disappears.
Attachments
Screenshot 2022-04-09 205231.png
Screenshot 2022-04-09 205231.png (32.41 KiB) Viewed 1262 times
Schematic.pdf
(35.56 KiB) Downloaded 246 times

ESP_Sprite

Re: ESP32-S2 custom board programming

Postby ESP_Sprite » Sun Apr 10, 2022 1:04 am

I see nothing particularily bad in your schematic. Just as a FIY though: while you can always expect the USB port to work when you're in download mode (as in: you booted with GPIO0 low), the USB only works in non-download mode if the application you have in flash supports it. That may be why you're not seeing anything sometimes.

I can't explain why the program is not running after you reset. I see you have testpoints for UART Rx/Tx: could you try monitoring that, see what the chip outputs when this issue happens?