ESP32-C3-DEVKITM-1U Missing WiFi Antenna?

jimcondit

ESP32-C3-DEVKITM-1U Missing WiFi Antenna?

Postby jimcondit » Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:27 am

I purchased some sample dev kit boards from a US vendor (Digikey) and upon receiving them found they didn't have the WiFi Antenna. The pictures provided when purchasing show what appears to be a black tab on the end of the board and is identified as the antenna. However, the boards I received have cutout and an antenna connector. After checking with the vendor, they agreed that it didn't look the same as the pictures and specs.

Suspecting that I perhaps missed that the antenna was embedded on the board, I tried the sample code wifi "station" and set the SSID and password, but the code fails to connect.

My question is that I'm happy to buy external antennas, but would like to know if you can provide some US sources and specs?

Thanks,

Jim

WiFive

Re: ESP32-C3-DEVKITM-1U Missing WiFi Antenna?

Postby WiFive » Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:00 am

When you see U in the part number it usually means U.FL connector for external antenna.

jimcondit

Postby jimcondit » Wed Dec 22, 2021 12:25 am

Can anyone recommend an antenna? I can't seem to find one that fits the onboard connector. I can't seem to find a connector specification that is compatible with some solutions. Thanks!

tienvitta

Postby tienvitta » Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:57 am

Hi,

I have the same problem, e.g., requiring an external antenna connector for ESP32-C3-DevKitM-1U. Would this https://cdn.taoglas.com/datasheets/CAB.A02.pdf be OK?:
CAB.A02
Description:
SMA(F) Bulkhead Straight Jack to 95mm of Ø0.81mm IPEX MHFIII (W.FL Compatible)
Features:
Cable Assembly
SMA(F) Bulkhead Straight Jack
IPEX MHFIII (W.FL Compatible)
95mm Ø0.81mm cable
RoHS & Reach Compliant
Datasheet says:
7.3 Dimensions of External Antenna Connector
ESP32-C3-MINI-1U uses the third generation external antenna connector. This connector is compatible with the
following connectors:
• W.FL Series connector from Hirose
• MHF III connector from I-PEX
• AMMC connector from Amphenol
Br,
Tienviitta