What type of voltage regulator should I use for a LiPo 3.7V battery to power ESP32

tudorel1999

What type of voltage regulator should I use for a LiPo 3.7V battery to power ESP32

Postby tudorel1999 » Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:18 pm

Hi! My question is what type of voltage regulator should I use for a LiPo 3.7 V battery to power an ESP32-WROOM-32? In my country I'm only able to find a low power LDO with low quiescent current ∼2 uA that outputs 3V with a max current of 250 mA (I don't think that's a good idea because when the Vout-Vin<Vdropout the LDO will essentially shutdown from what I've learnt, this will preserve a healthy battery, but I won't able to get the maximum out of it ) also I found a buck boost that outputs 3.3V but the output current is between 500 mA and 1A: https://www.pololu.com/product/2122. I'm asking this because I don't know if 3V from the LDO will be enough to keep the board running in a stable state. I have a solar panel which outputs 160 mA that charges the battery. And at the end I will only have some low power sensors and the ESP32 board that sends data over BLE/Wi-Fi if it can provide a range of at least 100m direct visibility (if you can tell the range of both, I will be thankful since I didn't find a lot of things on the internet about this), otherwise I have to add LoRa RF9x/ZigBee CC2530.

Baldhead

Re: What type of voltage regulator should I use for a LiPo 3.7V battery to power ESP32

Postby Baldhead » Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:54 am

I would use a buck boost converter ci with 3.3 volts set at the output.
Use a buck boost with low quiescent current. Analog devices and texas instruments have several. Only you choose.
Use a buck-boost converter with all switchs inside of integrated circuit.