Esp32-c3 Crystal and resistors?

josephchrzempiec

Esp32-c3 Crystal and resistors?

Postby josephchrzempiec » Thu Nov 11, 2021 5:51 am

hello I'm prototyping my first Esp32-c3 processor. I wanted to know Which crystal would I need to make it work also which resistors Would I need?

Second question is On which pins Do I need to put the crystal on?

Joseph

ESP_krzychb

Re: Esp32-c3 Crystal and resistors?

Postby ESP_krzychb » Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:53 am

Hi josephchrzempiec,

For design guidelines please check sections 2.4.1 External Clock Source and 3.4 Crystal of https://www.espressif.com/sites/default ... nes_en.pdf
For reference designs (that contain schematic, PCB layout, gerber, and BOM files) see https://www.espressif.com/en/support/do ... %5B%5D=519

josephchrzempiec

Postby josephchrzempiec » Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:01 pm

Hello, Because of the shortage of parts. I'm looking at other RTC modules.

Joseph

josephchrzempiec

Postby josephchrzempiec » Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:06 pm

Hello, Everyone. I'm looking into prototypging my own PCB in time. I'm not very good at doing it on a computer like reading schematics or doing cad work such as Eagle or freecad programs like that. I'm very good at hands on building as well as soldering. I always wants to build my Own Esp board. But I have the lack of understanding what I would need to make one of my own.

I read a lot of online websites to make prototype pcb of one with off the shelf parts. I found in amazon as well as ebay and aliexpress the parts I would need.

I found The QFN prototype pcb from amazon https://www.amazon.com/KeeYees-Adapter- ... 367&sr=8-5 as well I found the esp32 processor from digikey. I looked around for the 40mhz 10ppm from amazon as well. But the problem is the 4 pin one. I'm not sure If I can solider at this moment. I did find this one https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-Crystal-O ... 971&sr=8-1 Would this be possible to use just for prototpying for now.

I tried to look at the schematic to see if to make the bare minimum to make this work to see what Capicators and resistors I would need. Once again I got confused and lost. It says C1 and C2 next to the crystal is a TDB to be determined. So I'm not sure what needs to be going there. This is from the Reference design page here https://www.espressif.com/en/support/do ... %5B%5D=519

As for the antenna. I do not need to connect the bluetooth/wifi antenna yet. I only wanted to get the processor up and running.
So My next Question is what other parts would I need to make this work on the processor? Please bare with me I'm new to this and get confused big time If I do not understand everything correctly and I might need to ask to explain it a little better.

Joseph

ESP_Sprite

Postby ESP_Sprite » Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:59 am

Not sure how well everything will work if you put an universal PCB in the middle... As an alternative that is more-or-less guaranteed to work, you could opt for getting an ESP32-C3-WROOM-02 module. That is easier to solder, and has all the small components and RF magic integrated in it. We also sell devboards; you can stick those directly into a prototyping PCB or breadboard if that's easier.

josephchrzempiec

Postby josephchrzempiec » Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:08 am

Hello ESP_Sprite, Thank you for the reply back. I do have a Esp32 module already. I'm at the point Where I would like to build one. Even a Prototype version. Until I can learn more about design and cad work. This is the net best thing.

I'm trying to work with what I have and limited to for prototyping and testing. From the schematic the Crystal doesn't have any Capicators Attached to it Or I'm missing something. because it says in the BOM they are TBD.

Joseph

ESP_LJH

Postby ESP_LJH » Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:33 am

First, you could refer to our reference design files to study schematic and PCB.
Then, crystal caps will vary from crsytal and PCB, so we write TBD. Generally, you could define a initial value from crystal datasheet and modify it after some tuning work.

ESP_Sprite

Postby ESP_Sprite » Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:57 am

If you really want the details about those caps, Adafruit has a good document about them.

josephchrzempiec

Postby josephchrzempiec » Sun Dec 12, 2021 8:24 am

Hello, Thank you all very much for the help and understanding what Parts do I need to make my own Esp32 board. At this pointing trying to make my own pcb from Scratch is impossible for me to do. I did look at a c3 module that has the metal top on it thinking it would be to tick or big for my project.

What i did was remove the metal top from and measured everything and that seem to be a lot smaller to fit on my board. So rather then build a whole c3 board again from scratch i will just used the prebuild module to fit on the board with mysensors on it. Thank you all for helping me to understand what I need to do.

Joseph