ESP32 No TX when programming(faulty custom board)

Gip-Gip

ESP32 No TX when programming(faulty custom board)

Postby Gip-Gip » Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:00 am

I recently designed from the ground up an ESP32 board for use in small model rockets. However, after soldering the boards I have no luck trying to program them, and due to the small QFN package I honestly can't tell if it's a soldering issue or a design issue

I can see the green Bridge TX led light up, but the Bridge RX led doesn't light up in return, meaning the ESP32 isn't responding

I made sure all the pads had paste on them before soldering, of course, but alas, I still have 3 bricked boards. I use default configuration for the ESP-IDF program besides enabling single core for the U4DW model, and I am using espressif's ESP-PROG board

Here's the schematic: https://github.com/Gip-Gip/msbaker/raw/ ... ematic.png

ESP_Sprite

Re: ESP32 No TX when programming(faulty custom board)

Postby ESP_Sprite » Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:56 am

Your schematic itself looks good to me. A few things to check:
- Does the chip get 3.3V?
- Does the 40MHz oscillator actually oscillate?
- Did you cross-connect Tx and Rx to the ESP-Prog?
- What happens if you start a terminal on the serial port and manually reset the chip?

Gip-Gip

Postby Gip-Gip » Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:27 am

ESP_Sprite wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:56 am
Your schematic itself looks good to me. A few things to check:
- Does the chip get 3.3V?
- Does the 40MHz oscillator actually oscillate?
- Did you cross-connect Tx and Rx to the ESP-Prog?
- What happens if you start a terminal on the serial port and manually reset the chip?
Can confirm I didn't mix up TX and RX, ESP-TX is connected to pin 3 on the ESP-PROG and ESP-RX is connected to pin 5. Even swapped them just incase(shouldn't hurt anything) and also didn't fix my issue

I'll have to wait for my oscilliscope to arrive to test to see if the 40mhz crystal is working, but until then how do I reset the chip using esp-idf or similar utilities?

ESP_Sprite

Postby ESP_Sprite » Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:40 am

Just reset it manually. You have a watchdog connected via a jumper to the EN line of the ESP32, right? Simply ground the ESP32 side of that jumper.

Gip-Gip

Postby Gip-Gip » Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:06 pm

ESP_Sprite wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:40 am
Just reset it manually. You have a watchdog connected via a jumper to the EN line of the ESP32, right? Simply ground the ESP32 side of that jumper.
Gotcha, will do when I get the chance

Gip-Gip

Postby Gip-Gip » Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:35 pm

Got my oscilloscope and there was not a clock pulse at all. I have reason to suspect it's a soldering error so I've ordered another 3 prototype boards and I'll give it another shot