ESP32-CAM supported cameras

Robertico

ESP32-CAM supported cameras

Postby Robertico » Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:59 am

I recently bought an ESP32-CAM with an OV2640 camera.
Now I would like to know if there are any other cameras that are supported and if there are any cameras with longer cable or possibly extension cables.
I've searched this forum but couldn't find an answer to my question. Thanks in advance.

pratik2440

Re: ESP32-CAM supported cameras

Postby pratik2440 » Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:35 pm

Technically, you can use any camera module that has a parallel data output, HSYNC, VSYNC and PCLK lines (Omnivision calls it "DVP").
Almost all camera sensors use I2C or SPI for configuration.
The image frame size will be limited based on how much RAM you have in your system. With a pSRAM, you can store large images or more frames.

It is kinda rare to come across sensors that are more than 5MP with a DVP, so I guess OV5xxx 5.0 MP sensors are the top end of what could potentially fit (with JPEG mode). The ESP is not very impressive with handling fast raw data output. Best to have an STM32 or something for 30 or higher FPS.

As for camera with longer cables, you can find many that will have the same flex cable pinout as ESP32 camera boards. If not, you can make your own PCBs with FPC connectors and decoupling caps and use ~10cm long flex cables. I haven't tried anything longer than 15 cm... but it will usually work at low speed/JPEG mode as long as the trace lengths are matched reasonably well (loose wires are a headache, don't even try!).
Hobbyist and electronic design consultant! (https://PCBArtists.com/)

Robertico

Re: ESP32-CAM supported cameras

Postby Robertico » Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:21 am

Many thanks. Very helpful!