ESP32-C3 on board USB not detected

DHOUT19

ESP32-C3 on board USB not detected

Postby DHOUT19 » Fri Aug 16, 2024 2:41 pm

I've created a custom board with the ESP32-C3, and I am currently trying to use the on board USB pins of the ESP32-C3 to flash and debug the chip. The attached image is a schematic of the USB pins. D+ goes to pin 19 and D- goes to pin 18.

Here's what I have done thus far. I have made a cable that connects that D+ (Green) and D- (White) wires to their respective cables on the board. I am not using the +5 and GND wires as the custom board is being powered elsewhere. The chip is only being powered with a 3.3 volt supply. I plugged in the USB cable and powered on the board. The computer did not detect anything. I pulled pin 9 to ground to put the chip in Download mode, still nothing. Looking through the hardware documentation, it did mention this:
Note that USB_D+ will have level output, so please add a pull-up resistor to determine the initial high-level output voltage.
https://docs.espressif.com/projects/esp ... t.html#usb

So, I added a 10k pull-up resistor on the D+ pin, still nothing. Throughout all these steps, I made sure that everything was plugged in (USB pins, and pin 9) before powering on the board.

Are there any extra steps that I could try? Is there something that I am missing or doing wrong?
Attachments
Schematic.jpg
Schematic.jpg (88.15 KiB) Viewed 681 times

ESP_Sprite

Re: ESP32-C3 on board USB not detected

Postby ESP_Sprite » Sat Aug 17, 2024 5:39 am

You should not need a pullup on D+, I'm not sure why that text is there. You do however need to connect USB GND to your devices GND, otherwise nothing will work.

DHOUT19

Re: ESP32-C3 on board USB not detected

Postby DHOUT19 » Mon Aug 19, 2024 3:15 pm

This worked! Thank you much sir!