Programming ESP32-S3 from USB flash drive via USB-OTG peripheral

BrotherCreamy

Programming ESP32-S3 from USB flash drive via USB-OTG peripheral

Postby BrotherCreamy » Mon Aug 29, 2022 12:42 am

Hi,

I am implementing the ESP32-S3-WROOM-1U as a controller in a commercial kitchen appliance, and I would like to allow the possibility of updating the firmware via USB flash drive, to allow the user to update firmware without the need to use a laptop, run DFU etc.

There would be a USB port exposed on the front of the appliance, which the user would plug a USB flash drive into (that contains the new firmware). As soon as the user boots the machine with the flash drive in, it should recognise the flash drive, and begin the update process.

Is this at all possible with the ESP32-S3?

Thank you.

ESP_Sprite

Re: Programming ESP32-S3 from USB flash drive via USB-OTG peripheral

Postby ESP_Sprite » Mon Aug 29, 2022 12:57 am

There's no support in the ROM for this, but you could implement it in user firmware in multiple ways. The easiest one would be to simply view the USB stick as a source of 'OTA' updates and use the existing infrastructure to do so; you would have to come up with the logic that mounts the flash drive, looks for an update file and feeds that into the OTA API yourself.

adnanelhammoudi

Re: Programming ESP32-S3 from USB flash drive via USB-OTG peripheral

Postby adnanelhammoudi » Fri Jul 26, 2024 5:32 pm

Hello @BrotherCreamy

I am curious if you have done this method as I am struggling to find a way to flash the firmware via a USB stick.

Could you please share your findings for this approach?

Kind regards,
Adnan El hammoudi