ESP32-S3-PICO-1 Issues

ESP_Sprite

Re: ESP32-S3-PICO-1 Issues

Postby ESP_Sprite » Tue Jul 16, 2024 2:14 pm

I'm getting a little bit of a flashback here... someone posted an issue like this earlier, and it turned out they confused the ESD diode package they got... something like using an USBLC-4SC6 instead of a USBLC-2P6. Just in case, can you measure if that SOT6 package indeed has a direct connection between 1&6 and 3&4?

second.string

Postby second.string » Sat Jul 20, 2024 7:21 pm

Sorry, didn't get a notification for the reply.

I also had a thought about the TVS doing funky things, or maybe just being soldered 180 degrees. Unfortunately there is normal continuity between the expected pin pairings. I also pulled it off of the board and checked the ESP D+/D- lines again to see if the weak pullup was there but both lines were still the same.

I'm going to assemble a third board tomorrow paying special attention to the stencilling and reflow of the ESP32. Hopefully it's just been an unlucky coincidence for the first two assemblies, but I want to start fresh. I'll update here with more debugging info.

ESP_Sprite

Postby ESP_Sprite » Sun Jul 21, 2024 3:16 am

Hm, then I'm running out of things to test. Hope the 3rd board is the charm and the other two were just flukes.

second.string

Postby second.string » Sun Jul 21, 2024 1:54 pm

Well good news and bad news I guess.

The good news is that I assembled a 3rd board today and really took care on the stencil/placement, and also verified all connections under a microscope afterwards, and everything works as expected on bringup. The ESP enumerates as a standard serial port over USB, and when I open a `screen` to it I can see the streaming output of "invalid header" for an empty flash.

The bad news is I wasted two boards and ESPs getting to this point :( .

Sorry for the false alarm, thanks for the debugging tips!

ESP_Sprite

Postby ESP_Sprite » Mon Jul 22, 2024 2:57 am

No worries, shit like that happens. Glad you at least managed to resolve it.