ESP32-S3: in-package flash and external PSRAM or external flash and in-package PSRAM?

kwc1010

ESP32-S3: in-package flash and external PSRAM or external flash and in-package PSRAM?

Postby kwc1010 » Sat Dec 16, 2023 1:13 am

Let's say I want to design an ESP32-S3 board with 8MB of flash and 8MB of PSRAM. I see that there are a few possible ways I could do this: I could use an ESP32-S3FN8 with 8MB of in-package flash and add an external 8MB PSRAM chip, or I could use an ESP32-S3R8(V) with 8MB of in-package PSRAM and add an external 8MB flash chip. What are the relative advantages and drawbacks of doing it each way, if any?

It looks like I could even use the base ESP32-S3 (with no built-in flash or PSRAM) and add both an 8MB flash chip and an 8MB PSRAM chip. Is there any reason I'd want to do it that way?

ESP_Sprite

Re: ESP32-S3: in-package flash and external PSRAM or external flash and in-package PSRAM?

Postby ESP_Sprite » Sat Dec 16, 2023 4:01 am

There's not much here, any way is good. A few things to watch out for that I can come up with:
- You may want to use octal flash or PSRAM. Those tend to have a more complicated package (BGA), so you may want to have that on-package in the ESP32S3 to save you the hassle.
- Board space. External chips will always take up more space.