ESP32-S3-DevKitC-1 - USB Drive

HamGuy

ESP32-S3-DevKitC-1 - USB Drive

Postby HamGuy » Thu Oct 05, 2023 5:40 pm

Hello,
The Raspberry Pico has a feature for burning the firmware. When pressing the BOOTSEL button and plugging in the Pico to a USB port, the Pico will present itself as a USB drive. Then placing (drag and drop) a firmware file on the USB Drive, the firmware is automatically loaded (burned) on the Pico. It then performs a reset and runs the firmware.
Does the ESP32-S3-DevKitC-1 have a similar facility for accomplishing this?
Regards,
Ron

username

Re: ESP32-S3-DevKitC-1 - USB Drive

Postby username » Fri Oct 06, 2023 2:53 am

Yes & no. Yes it can be done, but no in that there isn't a pre-built solution.
I have done what your asking but it came from putting together a few of their solutions.
IF you want to do the same, you can start with this for getting access to a USB memory stick.
https://github.com/espressif/esp-idf/tr ... b/host/msc

From there you would add software to read your .bin file on the stick and flash itself.

For the flashing part, you would look at some of the code for OTA, so you can see how flashing is done.

HamGuy

Postby HamGuy » Fri Oct 06, 2023 11:44 am

Hello,
Thanks for your response. However the solution you propose configures the ESP32-S3-DevKitC-1 to be a host device. What I am referring to is configuring the ESP32-S3-DevKitC-1 as a USB drive device.
Thanks,
Ron
Regards,
Ron

ESP_Sprite

Postby ESP_Sprite » Sat Oct 07, 2023 8:33 am

The story is more or less the same, though - the ESP32-S3 does not have functionality for this in its ROM, so best option is to use TinyUSB to simulate an USB stick and use the OTA infrastructure to do the actual flashing.

HamGuy

Postby HamGuy » Sat Oct 07, 2023 2:16 pm

Hello,
The story is more or less the same, though - the ESP32-S3 does not have functionality for this in its ROM, so best option is to use TinyUSB to simulate an USB stick and use the OTA infrastructure to do the actual flashing.
Thanks for the information. This is what I needed to know. I have other fish to fry for now. I may swing back to this at a later date.

Regards,
Ron
Regards,
Ron