Can't get E-ink display or Wi-Fi to work

hertugen

Can't get E-ink display or Wi-Fi to work

Postby hertugen » Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:16 am

I made a breadboard circuit, using the older NodeMCU ESP32 development board, connected to a Waveshare E-ink display (7-color), which works fine.

Afterwards, I made a print and bought some ESP32-S2-WROOM processors, but I'm having some problems with them, as the display won't display anything and Wi-Fi won't show up as access point. Let me just explain one bit of a time:

I use this datasheet: https://cdn.sparkfun.com/assets/0/9/7/b ... tenna_.pdf

I use https://github.com/tzapu/WiFiManager for headless configuration. If no configuration exists, the screen is updated to let the user know, it's in config-mode. I've placed debug-code inside the e-ink method, so I know, this part is executed.

The print is wired up like this:

So: I can upload the code, using the serial pins. A reset shows that it's running in configuration mode in the console and that the display tries to update. However, first of all, the access point is not presented on the list when searching for wireless networks... and since it's working fine on the devboard, this got me thinking if I need to make any modifications on the chip, in order to activate the PCB antenna? I recall this little area, controlling whether the PCB-antenna or the IPEX-connector should be enabled, but which is not included in the schematics. However, the chip does not have an IPEX-connector.

The second issue is the screen, which should at least show a simple message, but nothing is displayed. I use the latest version of the GxEPD2 library. It's using a software patch, that enables me to reroute the otherwise hardcoded GPIO23, as the S2-chip does not have this pin. This has been checked on the breadboard as well with success.

I have very, very thoroughly checked all the relevant solder pads for connection and that they're wired correctly to the screen.

I know, it's extra hard for "outsiders" to do a diagnostics on a weak description like this, but if you had the same problem, how would you try to solve it? I've got an oscilloscope, if that could be of any help.

ESP_Sprite

Re: Can't get E-ink display or Wi-Fi to work

Postby ESP_Sprite » Sat Jan 21, 2023 1:30 am

Not sure about why the EPD isn't working (I'd scope the IO to see if there's at least *something* going on) but wrt WiFi, that DC/DC may leave you with a power supply that's just too noisy and you don't have any decoupling caps. Suggest you add an 10uF plus an 100nF cap close to the module between 3.3V and GND, that might help.