Single-Board CubeSat

ShayH.

Single-Board CubeSat

Postby ShayH. » Thu Nov 17, 2022 3:00 pm

Hi everyone, this is pretty much my first time asking a question on forums, and before I ask the question I want to give a run down of the situation. I am a high school student who is part of an advanced class which takes on huge projects. Its almost been a year of working on a CubeSat for STEM outreach, which has turned out pretty well. We as a team want to make a more advanced CubeSat that could be used by anyone, which came the idea of designing a custom circuit board with all the bells and whistles. Our current version works well, but the whole point of this project is to make CubeSat technology easy for schools to pick up and learn from. The problems with our current version is that the model houses a Raspberry Pi which are like out of stock everywhere, and kids have a hard time wiring/soldering. This new version would be like plug and play once software is loaded. Once the circuit board is designed and software is made, everything will be open source for anyone to use.

Question - On this custom board, I am using the ESP32-WROVER-E-N16R8 model and I want to attach a camera (OV2640 model) to the ESP32 through a FPC 24-pin connector. What pins on the ESP32-WROVER-E-N16R8 give the camera functionality?

P.S. - This will probably not be the last question I will have.

Thanks, ShayH.

ESP_Sprite

Re: Single-Board CubeSat

Postby ESP_Sprite » Fri Nov 18, 2022 1:27 am

Most of them, as the ESP32 has a GPIO matrix that allows you to configure whatever GPIO you want to use for most peripheral signals. If you need some more inspiration, you can download the ESP-EYE reference design and copy that.

ShayH.

Re: Single-Board CubeSat

Postby ShayH. » Tue Nov 22, 2022 2:22 pm

Sorry it took so long to respond, but thanks for the reference! I have gotten to a point where I have almost all of the pins connected to the ESP32-WROVER. There are three pins on the ESP32 that are already taken by a SD card slot. I was wondering if I could replace these pins to different ones. Really appreciate the help!

XCLK (FPC connector) should be connected to pin 26 (IO4 on ESP32). Pin taken by SD-DATA1

Y3 (FPC connector) should be connected to pin 16 (IO13 on ESP32). Pin taken by SD-DATA3

Y4 (FPC connector) should be connected to pin 13 (IO14 on ESP32). Pin taken by SD-CLK

Link to ESP32-WROVER datasheet - https://www.tme.eu/Document/491a1d31a59 ... over-e.pdf

Thanks, ShayH.