ESP32-S3 PIE (processor instruction extensions) use

geofolded

ESP32-S3 PIE (processor instruction extensions) use

Postby geofolded » Mon Oct 31, 2022 5:10 pm

Hey there,

I am a Electrical Engineering student who has used the ESP32 for a few personal projects over the past few years. I am now considering using the new S3 variant for a project for a local company that involves DSP. I have read that the S3 ships with processor instruction extensions that implement SIMD like instructions that seem like they would greatly improve DSP performance, but can't find a lot of documentation or cases with people using them. I understand that support for these features isn't completely developed, but I was wondering where things stand on that. I see that the PIE chapter of the technical reference has been recently written, and I am wondering if users can program in assembly to use these commands. I am also wondering if these functions have been implemented in the ESP-DSP library yet, if the benchmark table incorporates them, or if they will be in the future. Any info on this would be helpful or if any one has tried using this and has experience that would also be appreciated.

ESP_Sprite

Re: ESP32-S3 PIE (processor instruction extensions) use

Postby ESP_Sprite » Tue Nov 01, 2022 12:07 am

Hiya! The S3 is pretty new and the documentation for the PIE is only recently finished (you can find it in the TRM) so there's not that many examples for it out yet. One thing that does use it is our ESP-DSP library.